Technology Visioning – 2012

I feel our district is in a pretty good place when it comes to educational technology.  We are completely wireless in our schools and all of our teachers and administrators have mobile laptops.  We are near the end of a 3 year high tech multimedia classroom integration plan that includes installing SMART Boards, projectors, classroom amplification systems, DVD/VCR, etc.  Our high school is currently investigating online learning and we have integrated our first high def video conference classroom so that we could offer our students mandarin Chinese.  We also recently adopted the Project Lead the Way curriculum so that we could begin offering pre-engineering courses for our students.

Four years in the technology world is a very long time and somewhat unpredictable.  However, I think it is important to imagine where we should be moving as a district in technology.  I have posted some key questions that we will be discussing with our District Technology Committee in October.   Your feedback is also appreciated!

• What is the next hot ticket technology/web innovations our district should be addressing?
  • What does the learning environment of the future look like?
  • What technologies can help our district become more efficient and effective in our work/learning processes?
  • What technologies will prepare our students be successful in a global economy? (higher education and/or workforce)
  • What other questions should I be asking?
2 Comments
  1. I would look to what students might potentially bring to school, or be able to bring to school, themselves. The cost of a laptop and the eventual decline in the cost of truly mobile computers like the iPhone will probably be the next thing. A 1:1 setting could potentially be the norm rather than the exception and not from any kind of district initiative but because students will have this technology. I would anticipate this and look for ways to address digital equity in that environment to ensure all students have equal access to 21st century learning tools.

2. Hi Jen,

I’m glad your district included classroom amplification systems in their educational technology plan. I’m the web guy here at FrontRow, another classroom sound system manufacturer, and we think sound systems really help the educational process.

One future trend I think we are going to see is more integration among different types of technology, so an integrated “Command and Control” panel or remote will allow the teacher to control the white board, sound, lighting, and so on.

Best Of Luck,
    Phil Hershkowitz