Goal 3 – Virtual Technology

Goal 3 – Implement Virtual Technology.

It is time for us to begin the process and adopt virtual technology in our district.  Summer plans include beginning to virtualize our servers.  We have acquired quite a server farm over the years! I see  improved IT management  and  energy savings as significant reason to make the move!  We are also piloting our first virtual desktop computer lab.  Now, there are some people that say the cost savings are almost ½ of what a desktop lab is.  Client to client that may be true – but you need to have a larger server with more capacity to be able to push out to those virtual desktop clients.  If you are going between buildings – you had better be sure that your WAN connection can support the number of clients.  In doing our own checking – we would have to upgrade from a 1B to a 10GB connection to support this.  Again, what I see as the advantage – is the energy savings and the efficiency of IT management.  So you have a spyware bug? Reboot.  Need to add a new application – add it to the image.   I am sure there will be future blogging – and tweeting about this topic.  If it is as good as I have been reading and hearing about we will expand the technology in other schools in the future!