I have been participating in #ossemooc Innovator’s Mindset book study. This week’s blog hop challenge asks us to ask ourselves what if? SO, I decided to play along. Below are some blue sky questions that may or may not challenge the status quo of school. I will be honest – its this kind of stuff that “trips my professional trigger”. Collaboratively coming up with solutions to the questions below (and having the time and resources to act on them) would be a professional dream.
- What if the Carnegie unit disappeared from schools?
- What if student schedules were interdisciplinary and personalized according to their needs?
- What if we focused less on “what you know” and more on “what you can do to improve the world with what you know”?
- What if learning experiences outside of school, could be used to meet standards inside of school?
- What if our communities had a vested and shared interest in the success of our students and meaningful partnerships were created to fully leveraged for maximum impact on student learning?
- What if higher ed partnered with k12 schools in teacher prep programs?
- What if learners had more signiﬁcant and meaningful input into their educational experience?
- What if every educator was connected to a PLC (f2f) and a PLN (digital)?
- What if every student was connected to a PLC (f2f) and a PLN (digital)?
- What if “Assessment As Learning” trumped “Assessment OF learning”?
- What if schools were held accountable by holistic measures… not just standardized tests?
- What if every student, that graduated from high school, had significant resume worthy job experiences including internships, community reviewed business plans, patents, and published work?
- What if every student could articulate their human potential?
- What if we had time to ask with students, teachers, administration, board, parents, and community to ask…..What if – to help redefine what school is for?
- And more importantly…. What if we had time and resources to create solutions and act on those “What if’s”?
So there you have it! What did I miss? What are your What if’s?
STOP STEALING DREAMS: Seth Godin (16:57)