Thinking about online learning and Web 2.0

I had an aha moment on Tuesday.  I am about mid way through facilitating my eLearning Certification course and realized my course needed updating… again.   I have revised this course numerous times and have come to realize – course revision is never done.

1st Revision – Throughout my course  I have flipped learning resources, I have online resources (for fully oll classes) but I do not have hybrid resources. Everyone who attends my course come for different reasons and  hybrid learning is a becoming a high demand, at least in our high school.  While many of the resources for fully OLL apply to hybrid learning – I do feel, I need to provide options for educators.  That way they can choose their own path.  (Speaking of choosing their own path – I always encourage educators to bring their own research and resources to the table for discussion).

Its time to do some weeding.  I  recognize that some of my resources – are 10-12 years old. Are they still applicable?  Maybe yes.   Maybe no.  Its time to review my resources so that my course is fresh and more importantly – relevant.

2nd Revision – I had a Google Hangout with Dave Eisenmann (@DaveEisenmann) regarding  a presentation we are doing at the Ties Conference this December – 1:1 Implementation: Professional Development Beyond Year One.  It’s been a while since I have reflected on all of the ways we try to provide staff opportunities to receive PD/Coaching to support their integration.  One of the goals we have, is to increase the transformative learning opportunities in our classrooms.  This is based on the SAMR model.  I reflected again on my eLearning certification course.  No mention of SAMR and very little reference to Apps.  I have oodles of Web 2.0 options – but in a 1:1 iPad district – it sure would make sense to reference learning/assessment opportunities with iPad apps.

I made a few minor adjustments now and intend to make a major one after I am done facilitating this course..  In my Assessment Unit, teachers create activities/assessments based on learning objectives and upper level Blooms Taxonomy in Moodle.  We have a couple of other activities that build up to this moment so  I added the following resources to support those activities.  I scoured the Internet to find the perfect resource.  So many app resources (like the top 1000 apps for schools- YIKES) but settled on finding resources that were more specific to my unit.  I eventually will generate my own  list – but was satisfied with the links/resources below.

Below is a graphic that I saw a few weeks ago… another resource for my course!  I always try to blend resources to include images, videos, text, podcasts, ect and this infographic is perfect for what I hope to accomplish in my course.

Using iPad apps for real world learning epxperiences

Image Credit – Ipad 4 Schools – http://ipad4schools.org/2013/07/13/making-ipad-kids-think-big/

3rd Revision (possibly) – I am wondering if the word Online Learning and Web2.0 should be eliminated from my course.  They seem to be some what dated.  I remember reading a tweet – “Can we stop calling it Online Learning – and just call it learning?”  (No reference).  I think that goes the same with Web 2.0.   Web 2.0 sites and Apps are just learning tools.  Maybe its time to stop segregating technology tools with analog tools.  What do you think?