The time for change is now.

Scott McLeod had an excellent presentation he developed on for the K12 Online Conference.  Dr. McLeod reflects upon key concepts from Dr. Clayton Christensen’s work regarding disruptive innovation. The presentation draws primarily from two of Dr. Christensen’s books, The Innovator’s Dilemma and Disrupting Class, and focuses on the different ways of thinking that are now mandatory if school leaders are to successfully navigate their organizations in transition to the 21st century. Key points from other leadership models also make their way into the presentation.

The time for change is now.  Our future is inevitable.  Would it not be better to be proactive and start adapting to our future, instead of scurrying to try to catch up?  We are a very talented organization – it is time to tap into our stakeholders talents and prepare our district for the next generation of learners.  Please watch the video.  It is 20 minutes long.  Scott does an excellent job relating the reading material to education.  What are your thoughts?  What are our districts next steps?

6 Comments
  1. Very well said Jen. I read the following sentence on a blog not long ago, and posted it just above my monitor so I can see it daily…”They can’t wait for us to figure it out!”

I’m looking forward to watching the video when I get home…it’s blocked in my district.

Ted

2. Scott,
    I was also heavy hearted to learn that Ted’s school district is literally stopping the learning process for their staff. This IS a leadership issue. How does a Ted address this without appearing insubordinate? Having the proper research is key but it may be very difficult for Ted to make his case if the district leaders are not open to his suggestions. My thoughts are to spread the information to parents, students, and teachers. Sometimes the squeaky wheel is better than the 1 man mission.

3. WOW, I’m honored to be blogging with Dr. McLeod. The K12 Online Conference site isn’t blocked, just the streaming video.

I like the description of personalized learning. I think administrators who are resistant to Web2.0 and Student2.0 will understand personalized learning.

My principal and I are trying to be respectively disruptive. Although, it’s getting more difficult for me to maintain the respectively part…our kids don’t have time for us to figure it out!

I posted the wmv file of the presentation to my staff development page, and asked the district technology director to watch it. This is his second year in the district and would like to move the district forward, but the curriculum director holds the power and money, and she is the block to reform.

4. Ted, don’t be too impressed! =)

The big question, of course, is WHY are they blocking the streaming video. Do they think there are NO worthwhile online videos? None whatsoever? Because that’s the only reason for such a blanket ban.

Here’s my article, Blocking the Future:

http://snipurl.com/blockingthefuture

Maybe Ted can ask some of his leaders to read it and then have a sit-down discussion with him about their thoughts. No accusations, no defensiveness, just talk. Any chance that’ll work?

And if the curriculum director’s the problem, where’s the superintendent in all this? Why isn’t he/she reining this person in? Ugh.

5. From Scott McLeod’s article:
    Schools whose default stance is to prohibit rather than enable might as well plant a sign in front of their buildings that says, “Irrelevant to children’s futures.”

There will be the day when parents figure it out, and demand we prepare their kids for the future, not the achievement tests.

My superintendent has had his head in the sand…he only wants to hear good news. He has also been pre-occupied try to get a bond issue passed. I think he will become interested after Nov. 4, with the urging of my principal and technology director.

I will share the article with my principal and the technology director. This is the most direct route from me to the superintendent.